July 27, 2012

The London Olympics 2012: Opening Ceremony!

The Olympics. Grandiose. Monumental. Unforgettable.

I think the Opening Ceremony plays a very large part in the Olympics. I mean, it's kind of like the reflection of the amount of work that has been done for the Olympics. Luckily, this Opening Ceremony did not disappointed.

Directed by Danny Boyle (the director of the film "Slumdog Millionaire"), it was no surprise that the ceremony was very cinematic. Complete with historical reenactments, some kind of family sitcom, and the Queen starring in her first cinematic role (more later).

My Highlights of the Night:
 -J.K. Rowling reading the opening paragraph of the classic book, "Peter Pan". When I saw her, I literally freaked out, fan-girl mode.



-Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean!!) playing the piano during the performance of "Chariots of Fire" by the London Symphony Orchestra. It was absolutely hilarious! He was checking his cellphone, blowing his nose, and he was even featured in the reenactment of the scene in the film "Chariots of Fire" when they're running along the beach.






-The Queen with James Bond! It was kind of like a mini-movie, starring the Queen as herself and Daniel Craig as James Bond. They were in a helicopter, and the scenery was absolutely breathtaking; London through the eye of a bird/helicopter. I found it absolutely brilliant, very creative.





-The lighting of the Olympic flame. Man, what a genius idea. They had these bunch of "petals" (they looked like oddly deformed bowls), attached them to some kind of poles, and then when the fire spread across all of the petals, they all slowly rose, started to bind together, forming this awesome Olympic flame.




Overall, it was definitely a great show that was humorous, fun, and really creatively genius!

2 comments:

  1. I agree, the Opening Ceremony was a great way to kick off the Olympics. I loved the part about JM Barrie's Peter Pan. Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really creative, and I loved how they actually had a lot of volunteers from the London Children's Hospital :)

      Delete

Hi! If you are here, I'm assuming that you've just read my post. If yes, don't hesitate on leaving a quick comment, I truly do appreciate each and every single one of them!

-Grace :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...